Inside Linfield - First Year Advising

Course selection FAQs

What if I won't be able to register at the time registration opens for me?
Plan to register on WebAdvisor as soon as possible after registration opens for you. If you will not have regular internet access, contact the Office of Academic Advising

What if I am unable to register in all the classes I am interested in?
You have the option to waitlist a course and select and register for additional courses in the meantime. There is no guarantee that you will be able to register in all of your first-choice classes. The good news is that, as a first-year student, you need a lot of classes and almost every course available will work for you - either to explore a potential area of interest, complete a Linfield Curriculum requirement, or introduce you to an academic discipline you have never encountered before. Don't despair if you can't get everything you want; trying out something new is part of what it means to be in college. When you meet with your faculty advisor during Orientation, you will have the chance to change your courses, and you may be able to switch into those courses that are currently full.

I registered in certain classes but now I have changed my mind- What can I do?
You can make changes to your schedule after registering and up until the start of the semester. Consult with your faculty advisor for more information.

I am an athlete- Does that affect my course schedule?
As a student athlete, it is very important that you consider how many classes you take during the semester your sport takes place. No more then 12-14 credits is recommended for your first semester if you will be playing a sport. You will be very busy with academics, practice, competitions, and travel.

Depending on your sport, you may be required to register in a sport-related activity course during the semester (contact your coach for specific details). These courses are offered through the Health, Human Performance and Athletics Department (coded HHPA) with course numbers below 100. For example, if you were planning to swim on the women's team, you would register in HHPA 008B - Intercoll Swimming: Women.

If you are a student athlete, you need to contact your coach to determine when your practices will be held during your first semester. Do your best to select courses that do not overlap with your practice schedule. It may not, however, be possible to avoid overlap. If a course you are interested in overlaps with your practice schedule, it will be okay. You are a student-athlete and your academics are your primary focus as a student at Linfield.

How do I pay my account?
You will receive a bill in early July (January for students starting in Spring). Go online to Student Accounts and click on payment procedures. The deadline for clearing your account is August 15 (February 1 for students starting in Spring).

How will my credits transfer to Linfield (AP or IB credits and college classes taken during high school)?
If you plan to bring in credit for AP, IB, or college courses, it is very important to note that you cannot get credit for the same content twice. For example, if you bring in credit for calculus (whether AP, IB, or on a college transcript) you cannot get credit for the same calculus course here.

For more information about Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) visit the Registrar's Transfer Credit webpage. Linfield will grant 4 to 5 elective credits for Advanced Placement (AP) scores of 4 or 5 and International Baccalaureate (IB) subject examinations and higher-level exams passed with a grade of 5, 6, or 7 in academic areas normally taught at Linfield. Evaluations for credit are done on a course-by-course basis. Credit granted is comparable to the credit value of the course offered at Linfield. All credit earned thought AP and IB scores is elective credit and does not satisfy Linfield Curriculum or major requirements; however, it may satisfy prerequisite or proficiency requirements.

Credit earned before attending Linfield will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis. Generally, academically focused courses above the 100 level in which a grade of "C" or better was earned will transfer for credit. Linfield will accept math classes at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra (MATH 095 in the Oregon State System). Since Linfield operates on a semester academic calendar, credit for coursework taken in 10-week quarters will be converted to semesters (for example, 1 quarter-jour credit is equal to .67 semester credit) If approved, college credit may satisfy Linfield Curriculum or major requirements; however, the grades for these courses will not be factored into your Linfield GPA.

I earned college credit for freshman composition already. Do I still need to register for an Inquiry Seminar?
Students who have completed fewer than 30 transferable semester credits of college coursework will be required to take INQS 125 at Linfield.

Students who have completed 30 or more transferable semester credits of college coursework, including one semester (3 credit minimum) or two quarters of writing and composition, in a college setting, where the course(s) fulfill similar learning outcomes as INQS 125, may not have to register for an Inquiry Seminar at Linfield. Be prepared to provide the syllabus/syllabi from the course(s) you believe meet these outcomes for review.

Writing and composition courses completed as part of a dual-enrollment program during high school (that is, taken in a high-school setting for college credit) will not fulfill the INQS requirement. Students will be required to complete INQS 125 on campus at Linfield.

Students entering Linfield having earned an Associates' degree designed for transfer (e.g. AAOT (Oregon), DTA (Washington), or EGETC (California)) will be considered to have met the INQS 125 requirement.