Inside Linfield - Current Students

Academic advising for current students

Academic Advising Updates in Relation to COVID-19

Every Linfield student has a faculty advisor who provides guidance and mentorship throughout the Linfield journey. Consultation with and/or approval by the advisor is required for many of the academic program decisions that students make. Because academic advising is based on a system of shared responsibility, students are expected to prepare for and attend regular meetings with their advisors throughout their studies at Linfield.

Advising Resources

Academic Resources


Frequently Asked Questions

I'm having trouble deciding on a major?

There are many resources available to help students choose a major. Visit the Declaring a Major page for information.

I'm struggling in my classes. Where can I go for help?

Learning Support Services provides help to students with time management, note-taking, and test taking strategies. Tutoring for specific courses is also available. 

Can I take summer classes and transfer them to Linfield?

Yes. Credit earned at another accredited institution can be transferred to Linfield and applied toward a student’s academic program. Students wishing to take classes at another school may obtain pre-approval for such work by completing the Approval for Study at a Domestic Institution Outside Linfield University form (available from the Registrar’s office).

How do I change advisors?

Students are welcome to change faculty advisors at any time, however once a major has been chosen, the faculty advisor must be in that department. Change of advisor requires a signature from the new advisor. Students uncertain about the choice of a new faculty advisor should ask for assistance from the Office of Academic Advising. View a list of Linfield's faculty advisors for more information.

I am double majoring. Do I need to declare a faculty advisor for each major?

If you are double majoring, it is required to have a faculty advisor for each of your majors. You may do this by obtaining signatures of both new advisors on the Declaration of Academic Program / Change of Advisor Form and turning it into the Academic Advising office. Make sure to write which advisor goes to which major on the form!